I was at market in New York last week, already shopping for resort season and spring 2013. It’s energizing and invigorating to mingle with designers and industry veterans who are full of life and are making things happen. Their optimism was absolutely contagious and we’re bringing that feeling back to El Paso.
I came home excited about what I saw and especially excited about the fall clothes just coming into stores. Here are my 10 favorite trends for this season. Keep them in mind as you shop and you will be right in style!
• Relaxed elegance. This fall, don’t push yourself to be structured, buttoned-up or stultifyingly precise. Fall fashion is about richly colored luxe fabrics in silhouettes that are easy and relaxed – beautiful flowing cardigans, interesting asymmetrical hem tunic sweaters, and easy jersey dresses.
• Rich deep jewel tones. When fashion trends stay with vibrant colors, El Paso wins. When the industry goes for beige and tan, our Tres Mariposas buyers weep. Fortunately, the colors of the season are ruby, emerald, sapphire, amethyst and topaz. Add richness, depth and vibrancy to your wardrobe with these great colors.
• Illusion. A little netting, a sheer inset, lace paneling: designers are getting creative in combining sexy and modest details. It’s coquettish to be covered yet teasing. Look for illusion detailing in both sporty and dressed-up garments.
• Panels and color blocking. Side panels on a dress can be quite flattering; they trick your eye into making you look taller and thinner. For instance, black vertical panels on either side and a bright color in the middle of a dress can be fashionable and slimming at the same time – definitely a win-win.
• Luscious flowy silk tops. Here’s where the jewel tones have a chance to shine. You’ll find interesting, wonderful opulent prints in mixes of ruby, amethyst, navy and topaz. An easy blouse over slim pants with a pair of dynamite heels or boots, and you can go anywhere.
• Python prints. Fashion can’t live without something from the world of the wild. Python prints are the reptilian design of choice this season. Look for python print blouses, sweaters and jeans.
• Bracelet mania. I’ve never been a bracelet person, but even I’ve caught the fever. Many are flexible and roll on your wrist. Piling on multiples creates interesting and unique combinations to reflect the wearer’s individuality.
• Handbags that rock. Studs are the embellishment of the year in accessories. They give any look a new edge. Cross-body and clutch styles continue.
• Tech accessories. Our cell phones, iPads and other indispensible gadgets deserve the addition of personality and color with great tech accessories. Marc Jacobs and Tory Burch are the must-have designers of cell phone covers, incredible iPad covers, and other such cases. Don’t be caught with an undressed gadget.
• Don’t forget the boots. My favorites are the low-heeled ones that come slightly above the knee. So chic. Not to mention you can wear flats and exude style at the same time!