Stack of Bangles
Jewelry with color
Just as there are pieces that every woman must have in her wardrobe – a little black dress, classic black pants, crisp white shirt and flattering jeans – you also need a few essential pieces of jewelry for everyday and special events.
And there are different ways to build your personal jewelry collection:
• Silver versus gold. Most women favor either silver or white tones, including white gold and platinum, or golden yellow tones. This could be based on anything from current hair color to family heirlooms. But I don’t know anyone who owns only all gold or all silver. That’s just too confining. Some outfits really need silver, some gold. So while the emphasis may be on one or the other, both are needed.
• Jewelry suites. A “suite” of jewelry is at least two matching pieces worn together, like a silver necklace with a mother of pearl pendant and matching mother of pearl drop silver earrings. It’s all ready to go. You’re not hunting for earrings to go with your statement necklace.
• Individual items. I love having individual pieces to work with as I pick out a day’s jewelry. Sometimes suites get too matchy-matchy. What’s the downside? Sometimes I am stuck with great pieces that don’t necessarily look perfect with anything else I have. Still, I’d rather deal with the challenge of mixing items to create something interesting.
At Tres Mariposas, we carry the beautiful Ippolita collection, designed by Ippolita Rostango, the daughter of an American artist and an Italian intellectual who grew up in Italy and now lives in the U.S. Ippolita is so successful in part because of the versatility of her jewelry.
Rostango recommends building a collection with styles that work together and can be used in many ways. Her pieces can be worn together or apart, so women can be comfortable matching or mixing.
Ippolita recommends six essential pieces for your collection. Here are this year’s must-haves:
• Stacks of bangles. Mix bangles of different metals and stones to create your own look. Bangles are your No. 1 essential right now in terms of popularity.
• Everyday earrings. These are your go-to earrings that work with anything. For some, it’s a diamond solitaire; for others, it’s a silver hoop. Boom. Done. No more thinking.
• Statement rings. Tell the world who you are with a ring that reveals your personality, bold, flirtatious or sultry. Make it edgy, like a large stone in an unusual setting or a fun combination of metal shapes and textures.
• Long necklaces. Wear one significant strand or several long necklaces layered. Long necklaces have more drama and oomph than shorter pieces.
• Anything with color. Don’t settle for an all silver or gold jewelry wardrobe. You wouldn’t settle for all-neutral clothes. Include pendants, earrings or bracelets that carry a punch of color.
• Party earrings. This time of year, our everyday earrings just aren’t enough for evening affairs. Sparkly, dangly, shimmering and luxurious, party earrings elevate your outfit and your mood.
If you’re shopping for jewelry for the ladies in your life, have fun selecting something from this list of essentials.
You’re sure to receive a big hug this holiday season!