On the other hand, I’m already tired of my winter clothes! I have actually begun staring at my closet in the mornings wishing for something fresh. I’m ready to see spring fashions and plan for summer even while I’m in front of the fireplace.
That’s why designers have a fifth season thrown in the mix: resort wear! Resort collections harken back to when the East Coast elite wintered in Palm Beach and took January cruises to sunny destinations.
In addition to our forecasts and our buying trips at market, resort collections give us a wonderful sneak preview of what’s ahead – and the future looks bright, very bright!
This spring will focus on an optimism expressed in bright colors. The new normal is fresh and uncomplicated. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
• Color. The Pantone Fashion Institute has decreed emerald as the color of 2013. However, fashion’s love affair with green won’t just stop at one shade. Fresh underwater colors such as aqua, turquoise and deep ocean green are also going to be big.
We have seen strong selling at Tres Mariposas on a particular shade of jade green. Add to those shades a full spectrum of bright and neon colors and you’ve got a very colorful spring coming soon.
• Prints and patterns. We’re going to be seeing three popular types of patterns next season:
Sea and sand. You can almost hear the ocean in prints ranging from seascapes to palm leaves.
Flowers. It’s all about the power of the flower in every size and shape, from impressionist to stylized.
Graphics. Stripes keep on keeping on in all varieties – wide, skinny, broken and wavy. Grid patterns and digital looks will be big.
• Silhouettes. The skinny crop pant rules this spring. Tunic blouses will finish the outfit. Peek-a-boo pieces with open backs and daring cut-outs create an edgy excitement. Spring dresses will be sporty and easy, meant to go equally well with high wedges or feminine flats.
• Handbags. Structured bags will be dominant, with single and double top handles. Give the giant slouchy tote a rest.
• Jewelry. Get ready to make a statement this spring with beads, beads and more beads; stackable bracelets and cuffs; and inspirational pieces with special meaning.
Maybe just thinking about spring will energize us through some of the gray days that we’ve been having. No question, we have some fun styles ahead, so hang in there!