Packing, traveling, and being away from all the comforts of home really brings into sharp focus the need for items that are comfortable, practical, versatile or make travel smoother, more elegant, or less stressful.
At home we have all our “stuff.” When get dressed, if an item doesn’t seem right, we just change it. If an unexpected event comes up, we have a whole wardrobe to choose something appropriate.
Not so when traveling. Most of us feel we’ve packed too much or packed too little, and get stressed when things don’t go as planned.
Gifts that fit the needs of a traveler are especially appreciated given that just any old thing won’t do.
Gifts to transport her in mind or body:
1. Fly London Shoes. At first blush they are a bit unattractive, maybe funky. Then why do these shoes have a cult following with travelers? They are so comfortable that one begins to love their quirkiness. Portuguese owner Fortunato Frederico started with, “an idea for a lighter, less formal shoe, something casual, comfortable, soft, young and urban.” The company slogan is, “Fly, Don’t Walk.” Great shoes are undoubtedly the number one priority for women on the go.
2. Cross-body Hammit handbag. This entrepreneurial Los Angeles company produces bags that are a unique blend of a rock and roll vibe combined with a passion for practicality. Sturdy soft leather is meant to stay with you until the bag is vintage. Bags are adjustable as shoulder bags to clutches to cross-body, a necessity for savvy security-conscious traveling women. Various reinforced pockets and zippers hold all your “stuff.” For some reason these bags just feel good, and the compartments are fun to play with.
3. Fresh, colorful cosmetic bag. Every woman needs new cosmetic bags that give her travel gear a refreshing lift. Cosmetic bags get soiled and dowdy after a time. A new bag in an uplifting or elegant color is a way to pamper the woman on the go.
4. Women love the luxury feel combined with practicality for cold-weather travel. Dragging around bulky coats and trying to keep them from getting dirty can be a real pain. These coats are rainsilk on one side and lightest weight fur on the other. It is easy to board a plane with the rainsilk side out and just fold up the lightweight coat and stow it above. Depending on the occasions and weather that await at your destination – sightseeing, getting groceries for the grandkids or a special evening out – choose the dressy or casual side, the rain or shine side.
5. Luxurious airplane blanket/wrap. We all know that travel demands layering, ability to adjust to changing temperatures, and soft, comfortable airplane wraps. Choose cashmere or a soft, soft wool. Use it as a blanket to hide in during flight, then drape it over basic black pants and top for a casual elegant evening out.
6. Jewelry Travel Organizer. How do you take accessories and jewelry, which of course are necessary to add variety to the basic blacks that are rerun day after day? With this fold open case, inspired by origami, and designed by a busy neat-freak mother of two. Using it is magical.
7. Neoprene. This futuristic spongey fabric is one of fashion’s big trends, and the ultimate travel fabric. It bounces out of your suitcase in the exact same shape every time. This is for the fashionista who travels.
8. The Mighty Purse. Have you ever been huddled near the power outlet at an airport recharging your phone? Or asking strangers, like I do in New York showrooms, if I can borrow their power outlet? No one wants to be powerless! These small leather purses have hidden lightweight built-in batteries to recharge your phone on the go. Saviors.