I have two questions. First, how do they do it? Every year, the women of the YWCA have an incredible speaker at their annual April luncheon – and every year it gets better. I’ve long had a special interest in the YWCA, and I eagerly anticipate this annual event. This year’s guest is world-class financial guru Suze Orman. What a coup for this important fundraiser!
USA Today has called Orman “a force in the world of personal finance” and a “one-woman financial advice powerhouse.” A two-time Emmy Award-winning television host, New York Times bestselling author, magazine and online columnist, and a highly sought-after motivational speakers, Orman has it all: fame AND brains, style AND substance.
As a numbers person, an accountant by training, I’m interested in what she has to say. But as a fan of fashion, my second question is this: What she will wear?
It’s no accident that a dynamo like Suze has an amazing wardrobe and always looks great. However, it’s not just a matter of income: I think that most successful women know the positive impact of personal style.
In my opinion, Suze is a very smart and savvy woman who has made personal style part of her success. So how does she do it? And what tips might there be for the rest of us? Let’s think about what we can learn from her.
- Her style is genuine. Suze Orman’s style is a reflection of her bright personality and her common sense approach to life. She hasn’t copied someone else. She doesn’t flip flop who she is from year to year.
- Color. Orman uses the power of color to her advantage and she likes solid colors. She doesn’t get stuck in a black rut like some of us do (who, me?)
- The flattering face-framing neckline. Orman use collars to her advantage. She often turns up the collar up to frame her face, or wears a neckline designed to illuminate her face.
- Sporty-relaxed-modern-classic style. Orman’s style doesn’t fit in a single category – she picks what works for her across the board. She does not stray into the showy-trendy styles and yet she does not come across as stuffy. On the other hand she uses classic like wonderful woven cotton shirts and tailored pants.
- Great Jackets. Orman knows her body type and knows she looks great in longer length jackets. She’s right.
- Leather. She wears leather jackets often. I agree, you can’t beat a leather jacket — versatile, luxurious, and easy.
- Hair style. Orman keeps her do smart, short, and casual. Short hair and highlights, especially for someone with her golden tan, are proven strategies for a more youthful look.
- Appropriate use of jewelry. TV personalities know you can’t go on air with giant jewelry and clunky bracelets to jingle into the microphone and flash off the camera. Orman doesn’t go overboard with accessories; she usually accents with earrings and a simple necklace that enhance her style and add to her glow.