If there is one holiday when you want your gift to be just right, it has to be Mother’s Day. Especially in our part of the world, Mother’s Day is a major celebration. People want to be sure they let their moms and madres know they are cherished and adored.
But what do you get the woman who means so much to you? It’s not easy. Flowers are nice, even if they don’t last long. Chocolates are a sweet choice, but they go faster than the flowers! Clothes are appreciated if you know her size and tastes.
However, one of the greatest no-fail Mother’s Day gifts ever is a handbag. It is an indulgent yet useful present that’s one-size-fits-all and always welcome.
The good news is you can find a purse that will be as individual as she is. Think of who she is and what she likes and the rest comes easy.
Be sure to tell her exactly why you chose the handbag for her. When my son was growing up, his gifts to me came with a note that started out “I hope you like it” and ended with why he picked that present. Here’s some inspiration for finding the handbag that’s right for your mother and how to tell her why you picked it.
• For the artist, fun-lover or zany mother: “Mom, I love your artistic side, so I wanted you to have something creative and fun.” Marc Jacobs designed this bag’s colorful collage print by hand in his Paris apartment while he was on vacation.
• For the modern, practical mother: “Mom, I like your no non-nonsense approach and I’m glad you taught me how to be practical and savvy about things.”
The Tory Burch York tote is a classic made of saffiano leather that it is more scratch-resistant and generally easier to care for than nappa leather. With convenient compartments for organization, adjustable straps and a good price for a designer name bag, this is a foolproof gift.
• For the mother who’s always ready to socialize:“Mom, I’m giving you this turquoise statement purse so you will have even more fun when you meet your friends for lunch.”
This mini cross-body style is adorable and just big enough for a phone, credit card, driver’s license, some cash, lipstick and keys. This one is from Furla, the nearly 90-year-old Italian handbag and accessory company known for elegance, femininity and artisanal details.
• For the mother who’s ahead of the trends: “Mom, I love that you’re always on the inside track of the newest and latest and I wanted you to have something that is super cool.”
The designer behind this bag by Save My Bag is Valentina Agazzi of Bergamo, Italy. She was a fashionista who made neoprene fabric covers to store and protect her vast collection of designer bags. Her bag covers evolved into an ultra-hip, inexpensive line of fun bags made in Italy.
• For the mother who loves to travel: “Mom, I know I got my wanderlust from you. I hope you like this bag designed for the urban traveler.”
Hammit handbags are known for several features geared for travelling. Every bag has a crossbody stap, which is a must, both for travel security and ease. They also have well-designed pockets, compartments and a place for a cell phone, essential for staying organized on the go. Hammitt is based in Los Angeles and the bags are predominanty U.S. made, a rarity!
• For the mother who appreciates high-end designers: “Mom, I know you have an eye for the finest designers, so I’m giving you a handbag to add to your collection.”
If your mother is a collector and conossieur of fine designer clothes and accessories, she will truly be touched by your thoughtfulness and generosity if you present her with a new or vintage bag by Louis Vuitton, Celine, Chanel or other designer.
This is just a sampling of handbags to get you thinking about what your mother might like. El Paso has lots of choices, including bags by Coach, Michael Kors and so many others. Have fun shopping and have fun matching the bag to your mom!