Each season our buyers at Tres Mariposas present a trend seminar for our staff so they will be up to date on the latest. Last week, our wonderful contemporary buyer, Gesuina Legaspy, gave us a fun preview of what’s going to be hot this fall. I’ll share half of her top ten trends for fall 2013 this week and the other half next week. I’ll also give you an inside look at Gesuina’s “trend board,” a typical presentation tool used by both designers and buyers.
Here are Gesuina’s predictions for what will be popular this fall:
- Rocker Chic: Think black leather jackets and studs galore. You don’t have to be a serious rock-and-roller to get into this tough, yet sophisticated look – but you might feel like one after you put on an updated motorcycle jacket!
- Digital Print (or exploded print): Lots of designers use photography as an inspiration for their designs, but now textile designers are reproducing actual photographs in their prints for fabric. It’s a trend we call digital print. Think of photos of all kinds of things – landscapes, buildings, faces, whatever — reproduced on dresses, scarves, and even pants. Digital print is innovative and fresh.
- Jungle Fever: Animal prints never go away, and this season python and leopard prints will be big. You’ll also see some accessories with fur from animals that you won’t find in the jungle. Watch for calf hair and pony hair on handbags, wallets, and even coats.
- Navy, the New Black: Navy blue is THE color for fall. It’s both classic and neutral and you can mix it with just about anything. This rich dark shade is the go-to color this season, night or day. Wearing navy with black is a sophisticated trend that started in Europe. Some people might wonder about mixing the two colors, but you can just tell them, “It’s a very European look.”
- Illusion Additions: Feminine “illusion” necklines and sleeves — made of sheer fabrics that cover but don’t conceal — have been an ongoing trend, especially popular in wedding dresses and evening wear. Illusion designs leave something to the imagination and can be very flattering. Designers use fabrications such as mesh, tulle, and lace for these designs. What’s new this seasons is the use of illusion fabrics in panels on the side of pants and dresses.
So here we have five very different trends to watch; tune in next week for the rest!
Step into Tres Mariposas or check out more of Gesuina’s Instagram to learn more about the newest fashions!